Thumbs up....

Cade is a thumb sucker. He has been since he was three months old. I just let him go with it since I was too tired and didn't want to get up every time the pacifier fell out of his mouth when he was in his crib. I just let him. I knew it would be a hard road to teach him to give it up. Ryan hates that he sucks his thumb and wanted him to give it up a long time ago, but I was just like, "Leave him alone. He will give it up in time. He won't go to school sucking his thumb and if he does it won't last long when he sees his friends don't do it."




Anyway, he is three and will turn four in January. I have decided I will gently remind him that it is time to stop sucking his thumb if not taking a nap or in bed for the night. He ALWAYS has that thumb in his mouth, which has been nice because he sits still when he's plugged up...lol...but, I know that's not a good thing. Also, he is starting to just talk and talk and question everything and the thumb in the mouth is a good buffer to all the questions and talking during the day. Although I don't want to admit that my little baby is growing up to be a little boy I know I have to make it a point to help him in the right direction.


It's cute when he gets agitated with me when I remind him to get the thumb out of his mouth...lol...he gets so exasperated, like he is stressing that he can't remember. Then when he gets tired he asks, "Pleeeeease, can I suck my thumb?" LOL....I feel bad when I have to tell him no...lol...but he will get there. I don't think we are to the point that we need to put stuff on his thumb yet to prevent him from sucking on it, and hopefully we won't get to that point. I'm hoping the gentle reminder will help him along.


Comments

Jo said…
Love this! He will get it! All my kids were pacifier kids! I was a thumb sucker so I totally understand the peace they got from it. Evan only gets his paci at night. He will occasionally steal Eli's, which is hilarious because he sneaks off in a corner and sucks it. LOL Sounds like you are handling it great!! The bigger deal you make about it, the bigger deal it becomes!!
Becky said…
I'm still marvelling at the fact that he asks your permission to suck his thumb. Are you kidding? There are kids who are that compliant in existence? I thought that was sheer mythology!! ;P But, I love my little opinionated, strong-willed doodlebugs. Just gotta teach 'em when it's appropriate!!
Michael Paine said…
Sounds like you are making strides... plus making a goal for him like when he turns four to give it up completely or something might help...but that convient thing is so hard to control.?? You are a great mom and he will not always have his thumb in his mouth. I think you have the correct mentality as far as that goes.
full of faith said…
hmmmm well, sad to say, i sucked my thumb till i was like 12 years old!! hehe noone could tell me to stop...actually, i would just wake up in the night and it was in my mouth...so it wasn't that i didn't want to stop. But for most kids, they will stop on their own..usually when they start school and other kids aren't doing it. Jo is right, if you guys make a big deal out of it, it will become a bigger problem. You are doing the right thing!! BTW, Jo's son is named Evan, which is what we want to name a boy if we ever have any boys..Evan and Ethan...are all her kids E names? just curious, cause we have E names picked out and i like to hear what other people use. Well, hang in there momma, give it all to God!! There are worst things than thumb suckers!! lol
Jo said…
Hey! I set my blog to private and I wanted to make sure I had the right email address for you. I am just trying this out. Email me again so I can invite you to my blog!

thanks

Popular Posts