VBS report....

I have to admit that blogging has been the last thing on my mind these days. It's very unlike me not to at least get online and check out my friends and keep up with what is going on in their lives. I kinda feel like I'm being left behind....lol. I'm sitting here in my house (because, btw, it's scorching hot outside) and I don't feel like doing laundry, dishes, watering my flowers, cleaning up toys, or making my bed. Isn't that horrible? I don't want to go anywhere cause it's so hot, I don't want to do anything around the house cause I'm so tired, I don't want to do anything....that's just lazy.......all my friends are going on vacations and doing neat-o stuff and I'm not. I guess I'm having a pity party...lol...but I told Ryan last night that I want to visit at least three places before I die. I want to go to New York and visit Niagra Falls, I want to visit California and see the mighty Redwood Trees, I want to visit Las Vegas and see Cirque de Soliel "O". Those three things are things I've wanted to do for years and haven't planned any trips. They are all pretty extravagant and will probably be expensive vacations, but they are things I want to do. I really hope one day I can do at least one. My grandparents used to plan all our vacations and the last one we took was to Washington, D.C. After that, my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and all our family vacations stopped. Their next planned trip was to Niagra Falls and they went there, but only because it was something they wanted to do before she passed away...now, here she is almost 15 years later...she is still alive and they haven't been on another vacation since. I cherished those memories with my family and miss the time that we used to get away to those far away places. Maybe next summer. Ryan did win some tickets to Moody Gardens in a golf tournament. It's a pretty impressive win. If you haven't been to Moody Gardens in a while you should check it out....Rainforest Pyramid, Aquarium Pyramid, 3-D Imax, Discovery Pyramid, and a beach (which I'm not to sure about..lol). We can go to all of these for free (cause he won the tickets)!! That in itself is like a mini-vacation, I guess...so I'm pretty excited about that.

Ok, anyway, I did participate in VBS this past week. I usually do music and teach the children (K - 6th grade) the movements and songs. It's really fun, but I think I failed to find as much fun in it this year. Maybe I'm just getting to the point that I should do something else....maybe Bible Story....hmmmm...that's something to think about. When the children came in I would ask them what the memory verse for the day was and what the story was about. Some knew....some didn't....some didn't care (which is discouraging....mostly the 6th grade who thought they were too cool for VBS..lol). I found myself really excited about telling the stories....helping them picture the events in their minds. I had to restrain though, cause some hadn't been to Bible Story yet and I can't take that job away from them...lol. One thing that impressed me though, was after getting a little frustrated with the kids not even trying to memorize the super-easy verses for the day, I asked, "Why is it important for us to memorize scripture?" Now, remember these are Kindergarten through 6th grade. Some know it's important....some don't attend church regularly....some don't know why they go to church. I got answers like, "So we can be close to God", "So we can worship God", "So we can make God happy". All good answers.....but, this one kid in my 4th grade class gave me this answer, "So when someone asks us a question about what we believe we can give them the right answer." Um!!!! What??? I was so like, are you sure you're in the 4th grade??? LOL....it was the best answer I got all week!! Although there are many other reasons we memorize scripture, and as a mature Christian I know those reasons and do my best to hide God's Word in my heart, but as a 4th grader I thought this was a pretty mature answer. Children inspire me!!



Comments

Jo said…
So good to read an update from you! It is okay to take a break and be lazy from time to time. You probably should do it now cause you won't get to after the baby is born! : ) Can't wait to hear about Moody Gardens. I haven't been there in like 12 years or so. I hear it is cool.
Michael Paine said…
I have always wanted to lead the music in VBS...so maybe next year I can do that and you can do bible story. I won't have summer school next year so I could possibly work out great. I think you do a wonderful job at it. I know that you have a little kidney bean in your tummy that was stealing some of your thunder, which is understandable. Take it easy and don't be hard on yourself for wanting to lounge around. No shame in that. :-D I enjoy chatting with you on Sunday. Hoping to see you on thursday.
Becky said…
So, I'm taking it that it's HOT and feels like lazy summer days??? :)

When are you guys coming to Deltona? Or are you even going to be coming with the group now that baby #2 is on the way?

Popular Posts