$20 for a missed period???

I went to the doctor today....my first visit for this pregnancy. I waited an hour to see the doctor and only actually got to see the Nurse Practitioner (which I totally don't have a problem with...except I really wanted to meet the actual Doctor). Anyway, so, like I was saying, I waited an hour to get into an exam room and then another 30 minutes to get to actually see someone. Ryan came over from his office to meet the doctor too and hear what was going on with me. Seriously, seriously, all I got was, "Well, this is the missed menses appointment. We can't actually treat you as a pregnant patient till you are a little farther along."

What????? Did I just hear you right? Did you just tell me that you just charged my insurance an office visit and urine test and me a $20 copay to tell me I missed a period???

Yep...that's all they did. I was a little disappointed to say the least. I have to go back in a week for the whole work-up (blood work, pap smear--which I don't think I need now, right?, and other stuff that I don't remember because I was already a little upset that I went to the dr. to find out I missed a period).

Whatever, this is a new doctor with new rules and such. The NP was telling me we have lost 5 OBGYNs from this area (which I've seen 2 of them) and about to lose one more. That's pretty sad, right? Where are they going and why are they leaving? We need good doctors too!! Don't leave us without good healthcare (especially for mommies!!!). I guess I could always go with a midwife, but, I have to admit....I'm a little shy of those...don't know why....maybe I'm not educated enough. I will accept comments about midwives (I know I need to educate myself more).

Comments

Becky said…
Grrr. We recently paid $50 for "Yep. I thought so. We can't do anything about that; we'll refer you to an ENT specialist in the morning." (for your Mommy files for future reference: rocks up the nose are problematic for urgent care centers - and, no, it wasn't one of the boys...)

Sad to hear you won't be coming to FL. I was looking forward to it, too! You guys know you're welcome to plan your own trip to the ocean and we'll meet up with you anytime!!
Becky said…
Oh! And, btw, I loved my midwives with the 3 younger ones. I won't browbeat you about it but if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to share my experiences with you. Just email!
MamaJ said…
Well, a midwife wouldn't have been so inconsiderate to charge you money to tell you that you have missed a period. The ones I know understand that *most* women know how to pee on a stick and look for the little lines. :-)
I think the reason we have so few good Dr's around here is that they make more money going to Houston. What's the draw to stay in this area when they can make more in a bigger city? Sad.
Jo said…
Okay, you don't have to post this comment but I would consider going to Beaumont if you don't already. I haven't heard the best things about that hospital, Medical Center. Seriously, consider it if you don't like your doctor. On my first visit with all three of my kids, they did an ultrasound to see how far along I was, blood work, pre-natal vitamins, etc all on the first visit. And you should get to see the doctor every time. That is why you went in the first place. I have sort of a HUGE soap box about Mid County and doctors....if you can't already tell. I think Andrea has a pretty good doctor. You should call and see who she goes too. Anyway, I don't know anything about Midwives but I would be hesitant unless they were midwives certified to deliver in a hospital.Okay....soap box ending!!! LOL
Jo said…
Good to know you are at Baptist! Whew! I love our Memorial Hermann hospital here. That is where I had the boys. They were incredible and I only have wonderful things to say about the whole experience. Glad you agree about Medical Center.... : ). I know you are getting super excited! It is such a wonderful time being pregnant. : )

Popular Posts