Haven't made up my mind...

So, I don't know whether to be super concerned about this "epidemic" with the flu. I'm not sure if it's gonna be this huge deal or if it's just people being "people" and freaking out about something so small. Seems everyone out there is out to "get what's due them" and I'm afraid that's what is going on now. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Don't get me wrong...I know there is a certain amount of being prepared and taking precautions against disease and germs and what not. I make Cade wash his hands at least a million and a half times a day and he hates it but does it. Every time I have a chance I'm pouring germ x on his little hands and making him rub it in really good before he does anything...lol. I'm not a germ freak, but I do make sure that my child is safe.

Seems like either this is a freak-out thing or a real, live issue to deal with. Any comments? Advice?

Comments

Becky said…
Rather strong opinions on this one (shocking coming from me, I know). It is a virus. We've never been able to do much about viruses. We can use good hygeine, cover our mouths...and sometimes they just find a way in. Just take a look at our buddy the common cold; it happens. Fact is, this is just one of those things over which we have little to no control.

So...is God sovereign? Or do we fear and fret and wring our hands and frantically try to control that which is out of OUR control, yet firmly in HIS? The whole fear surrounding this is that WE (read the scientific community) haven't yet figured out how it spreads or why it's finding it's way into otherwise healthy immune systems. Okay...so they can't control it yet. May never be able to. But is God still God? And if we get sick, is He still our source, strength, and Healer? And if we die, is He still the one who holds us in His hands?

Do we allow the enemy to rob us of joy, render us ineffective due to our focus on self-preservation, and cause us to live in fear at the threat of a germ? Or do we recognize that we have *always* been frail sacks of dust, living due to the gracious breath given by our Creator, and that this threat to our fragile existence is no different than any other we've faced for the whole of human history? Our lives - and our kids' lives - have never been in our own hands. H1N1, cancer, auto accidents, old age, another's sinful violence...all outside of our control. Do we live in a bubble because of all the "what if's" or do we trust our Creator, use some common sense, and be USEFUL with what time we are allowed?
Micah said…
Personally.... I think this "flu" pandemic is just being blown WAY out of proportion. Its a great way to freak people out and sell lots of vaccines and Tamiflu. Just that's just my opinion. Bob and I have talked about it. We won't be taking the H1N1 vaccine. we probably won't be taking the plain ole flu vaccine either. I've only had the flu vaccine once and that was when Landon was a little baby. I haven't had the flu since I was child... that I recall anyway. Ethan and Landon both had the flu last year. They were sick for a few days.. We all took Tamiflu... $130 worth of Tamiflu if I recall! grrr. I thought it was a waste of good money.
So feel free to hop on my "people are just nuts" wagon. I could ramble on but I'll spare you...lol

Washing hands and being wise goes a LONG way.
Jenn said…
Thanks girls...just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who thinks this is all a bunch of "hokey". I don't mean to sound like I don't care about my family and want to take care of us all, but I don't want to be one of the ones who jumps on the bandwagon and FREAKS out over something so small.

Popular Posts