seeds, flowers, and bugs....

I have been looking at some of your blogs and seeing that there are those of you out there that don't seem afraid to plant your own veggies.  I won't lie...I've wanted to try it for myself for quite some time, but haven't because I didn't know how much work it would actually be to work the dirt and plant the seeds and grow the plants and, well, on and on and on...lol.  I decided to go ahead and try if for myself.  I got on the internet and got some information about what to do and how to do it.  I bought seeds for broccoli, squash, and bell peppers for starters.  I figured they would be the things I would eat the most of.  

Anyway, this is a pic of the seeds when I planted them 3/6/09.  Not much to look at, right?  LOL...I was super excited though.

And here are the seeds today...3/10/09.  The squash and broccoli have sprouted!  I was so proud of myself...although, what did I really do?  I put the seeds in the dirt and watered them and placed them in the sun...lol.  Not too hard...yet.  There is a sense of accomplishment, though, when something I started from a seed actually sprouts up and begins to look like a small plant.  I actually may have some veggies this summer!!!

This is Cade's garden.  I told him this year he could plant some flowers that he could take care of.  We went to Lowe's and he picked out impatients, a marigold, some petunias, and the little white flower there in the back...I forget what that was called.  The lillie is mine...I love lillies.  They are my favorite flower.  This on will bloom pink.  The sego and the rose bush in the ends of the picture are mine too, but we needed some color for this corner of the flower bed.  It looks really pretty out in the yard.

Ok, last but not least, here is where I will plant my veggies.  This area of the yard already had some bushes planted here that we pulled up a couple of weekends ago....a bridal wreath and a rose bush that had no thorns.  Seth called it a thornless rose bush...go figure, right?  Anyway, I've been working the dirt for about three to four days.  It's really good dirt...nice and dark, moist and rich.  I'm a little confused as to why the telephone company would put one  of these poles into a residential back yard.  I have to work around it and make sure never to cut a line...lol.  The bricks were already laid and the area shaped for the bed so I just left it like this.  As I was working the dirt I thought about Adam in the Garden of Eden.  When God punished him by saying that the ground would be hard to cultivate and he would work by the sweat of his brow.  I definitely understand that now.  This ground was hard to cultivate.  There were rocks, weeds, roots from the previous bushes, bugs....you name it.  There was even a plastic garbage bag that the previous owners of the house placed as weed mat (I guess that's what it was there for).  Anyway, by the sweat of my brow and the labor of pulling, digging, and turning I have finally gotten this ready to go when my tiny, tender little plants are ready to put into the ground.  I am so excited to see how God will bless my harvest in the summer.  I can't wait to share with you all!!    Cade and I also found a crysalis (spelling??).  I'm sure it's a moth....it's too small to be a butterfly.  I placed it in a jar with some sticks and some leaves.  I will update as soon as it "hatches".  I thought it would be a good learning tool for Cade to enjoy nature up close.


Comments

Jessica said…
How awesome!! I am so excited about your veggies! You garden area looks great! so much fun! can't wait for an update!
The Kyler said…
Beautiful flowers! I wish I had time to have a garden, if you ever have more than yall can eat we would gladly take your leftover vegetables!
Jo said…
So fun. I had a little container garden the first year we were married. I actually grew a jalepeno, small little bell pepper,rosemary and a tomato. It was pretty neat. I should post some of those way back when pictures! Maybe one day I will have enough patience and time to try gardening again.
full of faith said…
hey hon...lillies are my favorite flower also! i love your containers and your pretty flowers! we are having someone come out tomorrow and till up our land...we have about an acre on one side of the house and we are going to plant a large garden there..beans,corn,greens,etc etc, and then a smaller one with salad veggies and peppers...this will be fun for us. Anyway, thanks for the sweet comment. it helps to know people are praying for us. i have faith that the next iui will work. i just had my 32nd bday, and matt will be 32 in july, we feel the clock tick-tocking...esp.because of my mom dying young. though i pray that doesn't happen to me or matt, it makes me want to capture every moment and experience all i can while i'm not yet 40...lol...plus we only have two more friends that don't have babies yet and they r younger! lol...i know God's plans are better, and that's what keeps me going. love u!

Popular Posts