Now, for the real story.....
Ok, ok...so my last post was anything but uplifting. Let's just face it...we all have days when we question whether God knows what He is doing, right?
Anyway, God is so good to me and I know He knows what He is doing. I know sometimes I like to sit in my little pitty party and pretend that I am having the worst possible life and no one understands my struggle and no one cares. Don't laugh, you do it too. As a human I guess I just allow that sin nature to take hold and just run rampant. It's easier than being the stand-up gal that I should be. However, once I've allowed it out it's really hard to put it back into the box where it belongs. God, help me to keep that part of myself suppressed.
So, anyway, the story of how we got to today.
Well, when Dan James left our church he put Ryan and I in the interim position as youth ministers. It was a really fun job and it just seemed to fit us. At the time, I didn't even question whether it was the right move or not. I just knew that I couldn't see anyone else but us fill that gap because we cared for the students so much. We took them to camp that year, took a few other trips, and did the major fundraiser before camp. We did pretty well, I guess. I sat in my kitchen one day and in a quiet moment I heard a small whisper telling me I was meant for ministry. I did what any other person would do at that moment....I called people and asked them what they thought about that. Did they think that was stupid? Was I crazy for thinking that God would call me to ministry? I'm a woman...what could I possibly do in a society filled with men leading the church. I spoke with several different people that day including my mother-in-law who said it wasn't impossible, but to remember that God may be calling Ryan to ministry and preparing me to be able to be the wife to stand by him in that decision. That made a lot of sense, but I kept that to myself. I spoke with Ryan when he got home from work that day about what I had thought God was saying to me. He said, "Go for it, babe. I will support you however I can."
Little did he know what was to come.
As time went on I guess I sort of put that "call" on the back burner for a bit. I never forgot about it, I just didn't pursue it as aggressively as I should have. After all, the call was not for me. If I were to push the issue with Ryan he would have run harder and faster away from what he already felt in his own heart. He began getting involved with the college at that point and leading out with others in the creation of the Coffee House Ministry as well as IMPRINT. These ministries have escalated so incredibly throughout the past few years. How did Ryan not see the call? He was running.
Two and one half years ago Ryan took some college students to Student Life Camp to be student staffers. He sat in the service one night and felt God speak to him. There was no more denying it. He was calling Ryan to full-time vocational ministry. Seriously, to hear him call me that next day and tell me was incredible. I had been praying over and nurturing a small seed that God had planted in my heart and allowing God to work Ryan's soil to eventually plant the same seed in his heart. I was literally overjoyed. I just couldn't believe it. This was really going to happen.
When Ryan got home from that trip we were lying in bed talking one night and he said I just can't run anymore. It has to be full-time and it has to be vocational. My reply was simple. I said, "I know. Let's go." From that point on he had sent out resumes, made phone calls, scribbled ideas, and taught with more passion than I had ever seen in him. He was reading his Bible and we talked about Scripture together. He enrolled in seminary for a Masters Degree. It was just an incredible time. We had many phone calls from churches that were interested in Ryan. We also had several interviews with churches that wanted to meet him in person. We nearly moved to Monroe, LA to a FBC that had a struggling staff situation and students that just desperately needed someone to care for them. Had we not seen the immanent danger approaching we would be serving there now. Their pastor dropped hints that things were not good and then, when we were supposed to go in view of a call, they asked us not to come. A week later the pastor resigned. Praise God that He gives people insight for protection (that's another story). Needless to say, we were devastated and very confused. We were sure this is what we were supposed to be doing but it was like having a rug pulled out from underneath you when you weren't looking.
Our looking went on for another year until we got a call from a youth minister search committee from Blytheville, AR. Our interviews with them went on for a little while. They called us, we called them, we skyped, we e-mailed, we filled things out...blah, blah, blah....the usual. Then, it happened. They wanted to fly us into Memphis and have us come for a formal interview. Wow....I think we were both a little taken aback by all this happening so quickly. But, quickly? I mean it wasn't like we just started this process or anything...lol. Anyway, you get it. It was happening...it was really happening.
We flew to Memphis. We stayed in a nice hotel. We met a million people. We toured the church. We interview. We left the next day..lol. It was a very quick trip. About a month later we received the call that they wanted to fly us back over a weekend in view of a call. That's when the butterflies hit. It was amazing. We flew in. Met the same million people...lol. Met more people. Shook lots of hands. We met with the youth. I sang in their service. Ryan preached. We walked out. They voted.
Now, I will stop here. At this point, right here, at this mark, this is when I felt God begin to comfirm to me, "This is the place."
You know, when you are thinking of an impending move you always have ideas of "What if this isn't it?" Everyone said it to us. "What if this isn't where God wants you?", "I don't want you guys to go.", "I'm praying God will keep you here with us." So, even though God had given me a peaceful heart about FBC Blytheville, the comments of others set in a little doubt. But, Satan does that doesn't he? Don't get me wrong....I MISS MID COUNTY!!! But, when God says go...YOU GO. Period.
But, anyway, back to the vote. The president of the local bank walked in and said, "We have a house that is in repossession that you guys could live in, for free, if you want. It's not that nice and it really needs some work, but we would be willing to allow you to live there, if you want, till your house sells. Come look at it tomorrow and see what you think."
Ummm.....did I hear you right? Did you say FREE?
Yes, he said FREE. Are you kidding me? Nope, God wanted us here. CONFIRMATION # 1!!!
**Now that I have your attention, I will stop...lol.** Look for "THE REST OF THE STORY" in a later post.
Anyway, God is so good to me and I know He knows what He is doing. I know sometimes I like to sit in my little pitty party and pretend that I am having the worst possible life and no one understands my struggle and no one cares. Don't laugh, you do it too. As a human I guess I just allow that sin nature to take hold and just run rampant. It's easier than being the stand-up gal that I should be. However, once I've allowed it out it's really hard to put it back into the box where it belongs. God, help me to keep that part of myself suppressed.
So, anyway, the story of how we got to today.
Well, when Dan James left our church he put Ryan and I in the interim position as youth ministers. It was a really fun job and it just seemed to fit us. At the time, I didn't even question whether it was the right move or not. I just knew that I couldn't see anyone else but us fill that gap because we cared for the students so much. We took them to camp that year, took a few other trips, and did the major fundraiser before camp. We did pretty well, I guess. I sat in my kitchen one day and in a quiet moment I heard a small whisper telling me I was meant for ministry. I did what any other person would do at that moment....I called people and asked them what they thought about that. Did they think that was stupid? Was I crazy for thinking that God would call me to ministry? I'm a woman...what could I possibly do in a society filled with men leading the church. I spoke with several different people that day including my mother-in-law who said it wasn't impossible, but to remember that God may be calling Ryan to ministry and preparing me to be able to be the wife to stand by him in that decision. That made a lot of sense, but I kept that to myself. I spoke with Ryan when he got home from work that day about what I had thought God was saying to me. He said, "Go for it, babe. I will support you however I can."
Little did he know what was to come.
As time went on I guess I sort of put that "call" on the back burner for a bit. I never forgot about it, I just didn't pursue it as aggressively as I should have. After all, the call was not for me. If I were to push the issue with Ryan he would have run harder and faster away from what he already felt in his own heart. He began getting involved with the college at that point and leading out with others in the creation of the Coffee House Ministry as well as IMPRINT. These ministries have escalated so incredibly throughout the past few years. How did Ryan not see the call? He was running.
Two and one half years ago Ryan took some college students to Student Life Camp to be student staffers. He sat in the service one night and felt God speak to him. There was no more denying it. He was calling Ryan to full-time vocational ministry. Seriously, to hear him call me that next day and tell me was incredible. I had been praying over and nurturing a small seed that God had planted in my heart and allowing God to work Ryan's soil to eventually plant the same seed in his heart. I was literally overjoyed. I just couldn't believe it. This was really going to happen.
When Ryan got home from that trip we were lying in bed talking one night and he said I just can't run anymore. It has to be full-time and it has to be vocational. My reply was simple. I said, "I know. Let's go." From that point on he had sent out resumes, made phone calls, scribbled ideas, and taught with more passion than I had ever seen in him. He was reading his Bible and we talked about Scripture together. He enrolled in seminary for a Masters Degree. It was just an incredible time. We had many phone calls from churches that were interested in Ryan. We also had several interviews with churches that wanted to meet him in person. We nearly moved to Monroe, LA to a FBC that had a struggling staff situation and students that just desperately needed someone to care for them. Had we not seen the immanent danger approaching we would be serving there now. Their pastor dropped hints that things were not good and then, when we were supposed to go in view of a call, they asked us not to come. A week later the pastor resigned. Praise God that He gives people insight for protection (that's another story). Needless to say, we were devastated and very confused. We were sure this is what we were supposed to be doing but it was like having a rug pulled out from underneath you when you weren't looking.
Our looking went on for another year until we got a call from a youth minister search committee from Blytheville, AR. Our interviews with them went on for a little while. They called us, we called them, we skyped, we e-mailed, we filled things out...blah, blah, blah....the usual. Then, it happened. They wanted to fly us into Memphis and have us come for a formal interview. Wow....I think we were both a little taken aback by all this happening so quickly. But, quickly? I mean it wasn't like we just started this process or anything...lol. Anyway, you get it. It was happening...it was really happening.
We flew to Memphis. We stayed in a nice hotel. We met a million people. We toured the church. We interview. We left the next day..lol. It was a very quick trip. About a month later we received the call that they wanted to fly us back over a weekend in view of a call. That's when the butterflies hit. It was amazing. We flew in. Met the same million people...lol. Met more people. Shook lots of hands. We met with the youth. I sang in their service. Ryan preached. We walked out. They voted.
Now, I will stop here. At this point, right here, at this mark, this is when I felt God begin to comfirm to me, "This is the place."
You know, when you are thinking of an impending move you always have ideas of "What if this isn't it?" Everyone said it to us. "What if this isn't where God wants you?", "I don't want you guys to go.", "I'm praying God will keep you here with us." So, even though God had given me a peaceful heart about FBC Blytheville, the comments of others set in a little doubt. But, Satan does that doesn't he? Don't get me wrong....I MISS MID COUNTY!!! But, when God says go...YOU GO. Period.
But, anyway, back to the vote. The president of the local bank walked in and said, "We have a house that is in repossession that you guys could live in, for free, if you want. It's not that nice and it really needs some work, but we would be willing to allow you to live there, if you want, till your house sells. Come look at it tomorrow and see what you think."
Ummm.....did I hear you right? Did you say FREE?
Yes, he said FREE. Are you kidding me? Nope, God wanted us here. CONFIRMATION # 1!!!
**Now that I have your attention, I will stop...lol.** Look for "THE REST OF THE STORY" in a later post.


Comments