My investment...

I am a wife of nine years to a man who loves me so. I am so blessed to have found someone who loves me for me...even on the days I don't deserve his love or affections..lol...

We met in the 10th grade. He was a soccer jock and I was the shy little girl who barely spoke 2 words to people...and that was a good day..lol. He spotted me from across the room--in spanish class..lol--and proceded to throw little pieces of paper at me. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. I guess I thought someone was trying to get the attention of the more popular girl who sat in front of me. Soon, though, I realized that it was him...over there...two rows over from me...and, yes, he was throwing those little pieces of paper at me. I looked at him and he was waving at me...cheezy i know...on one hand he wrote "hi" and on the other hand he wrote "bye". Each time the paper came by my face I would look at him and he would wave "hi" or "bye". So simple but so effective. We began talking and soon found out we had a lot in common...imagine that...lol...seems he had been asking his friends about me...one in particular who "happened" to go to my church..lol. His friend told him, "Man, you don't want to date her. She is a snob." Like I said I barely talked to ANYONE...lol. Ignoring his friends' advice we soon began dating. After several dates he decided to get serious and ask me to be his GIRLFRIEND. I don't think people do this anymore. I think these days you are either dating/going with someone or you are "just friends"...not sure how it works now. Anyway, at the first request I said, "hmmm...ask me later." See, I was seeing this other guy on the side...playing the field...lol...I guess you could say that. I had never had a serious date or anything till tenth grade. He was like "ok" and I just put it aside thinking nothing of it. He, of course, was taking it a little more serious...truly devastated...well maybe not devastated, but sad...lol. I soon came to my senses after the guy on the side made a comment about me that I took to heart and decided not to see him anymore. I turned my attention to "him" my soul mate....my future partner...my best friend. He began coming to my church. I met his parents. He met my parents. Hillcrest Baptist Church became our favorite hang out. We did everything there. We loved it there. Then, after six years of dating it happened. One night at church...on a Sunday...see we used to have services on Sunday nights instead of Wednesday nights....now it's different....he traded out my promise ring for an engagement ring. See, I guess I should tell you that during the services he used to take off all my rings....I used to wear a lot of them...lol..who didn't?...and put them on his fingers. Then, when he replaced my rings...I could feel his hands shaking...it took me a while, but when i looked down I saw it. We had picked it out together. A simple diamond shaped 1/4 carat diamond mounted on a wide gold band. Simple. Nothing extravagant. Just what I wanted. I sat the entire service not knowing what else would happen or what else he had up his sleeve. Then, after the service was over, the music minister called for any last announcements. He stood up and walked to the front of the choir loft where he had hidden a single rose. He brought it down, handed it to me, and in front of the entire congregation...who all knew what was going on by the way...lol....I kept wondering why everyone was staring at me that night...got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. I said yes and the entire congregation erupted into applause. It was the coolest thing that had happened to me up to that point. We were married in August of 1998. We were the "first"..lol...it seems we've been married longer than a lot of our friends. Two years ago we had our first child. Everything seems so different...lol...i guess, cause it is...lol...but we are now thirty. Thirty!! How did time pass so quickly? How did we get all the way here? I cherish my memories. I cherish my present. I will cherish the future.

My unity candle says "today I marry my friend. the one I laugh with, live for, dream with, love". I loved it from the moment I saw it because I knew that we would be together for eternity. We invested for forever. Forever has good returns... :)

Comments

Popular Posts