"Oceans".....
"You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown, where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep, my faith will stand"
One of my favorite men in the Bible is Peter...and in one particular incident in his life really just speaks to my heart. It's the time when he and the other disciples were in a boat in the sea of Galilee. A huge storm comes up and they are super afraid of all the wind and the waves. At this particular time Jesus was not in the boat with them so they were sorta freaking out. I mean, don't we all freak out a little in the middle of bad storms? I do. Lightening freaks me out worst of all. Anyway, they see Jesus coming to their boat across the angry water. They start freaking out MORE because they think they see a ghost and panic sets in. Well, it wasn't a ghost, it was Jesus and he says, "Hey, guys. Why ya'll freakin'?" (Please excuse my short translation). And they start yelling at him and saying they didn't believe it was really him. So, Peter, being the boldest and most spiritual of all the men in the boat says, "If it's really you, Jesus, call me out of the boat to you."
Now, let's just stop right here a moment. Don't you think there would be a better way to ask Jesus to prove that He was who He said He was? "Hey Jesus calm the storm." "Hey Jesus save our boat." He could have asked Jesus to do literally ANYTHING else. I mean who wants to go out in the middle of deep water in the middle of a hurricane? I think Peter KNEW it was Jesus or else he wouldn't have asked for such a big deal of a sign.
Anyway, Jesus is just like, "Come on, brother." So Peter gets out of the boat and walks to Jesus...till he takes his eyes off Jesus and sinks. How many times do we do that? Take our eyes OFF Jesus. Well, I can tell you, I do it ALL THE TIME. Literally, like I know better and I do it anyway. I know every time I'm gonna sink and I take my eyes off my Savior anyway. But when I find myself sinking, deep in the waters that rise above my little head I hear this promise:
"And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours, and You are mine"
What a wonderful promise, right? All we have to do is call his Name. Jesus. The Name above EVERY name. Jesus. The lifter of my head. Jesus. I.AM.HIS. And not only that, HE.IS.MINE!!!!! And it doesn't stop there...there's another promise in the next phrase:
"Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed, and You won't start now"
JESUS DOES NOT FAIL ME. HE NEVER HAS. HE NEVER WILL. So, why don't I believe that? If I did, I wouldn't worry so much.....Ahhh....growth!!!
And right here, at these next words....right here is where I get to where I CANNOT sing. Because I have to search my heart and ask myself, honestly, "Can I say this?"
"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior"
Do I REALLY want Him to lead me where my trust is WITHOUT BORDERS? Like I completely trust you, Jesus...no holds barred?
Do I really want Him to take me DEEPER than my feet could wander?
Can I even let go of my insecurities long enough to allow Him to touch me and clean out my darkest corners?
Can I let Jesus rub the balm of His grace into the wounds of my soul where I've been hurt and scarred?
Can I let Jesus take me down under the waters of His mercy so that I'm no longer breathing earth and air, but I'm breathing Jesus constantly?
Do I really want to walk upon the waters where He is waiting with His arms wide open ready to receive the broken pieces of my life?
Or am I too afraid? Would I be willing to go to Jesus when He calls me out of the boat?
Oh, Jesus, would that I would have the faith to LIVE upon the waters of Your Ocean! Teach me how to trust You and depend on You ALONE!
(**Lyrics by Hillsong**)
(**Lyrics by Hillsong**)


Comments