The Comparison Game....
If you're like me, you have those days...you know the ones. The days that you feel less than perfect....some of us...MUCH less than perfect. You look in the mirror and you play the "comparison game":
I'm not as pretty as her.
I'm not as skinny as her.
My skin is not as smooth as hers.
My hair doesn't lay just right like hers.
I wish my hair was straighter, like hers.
I wish my hair was curlier, like hers.
My body doesn't look like hers.
I'm not as good of a mom as her.
Seriously, the list could go on and on and on forever.....
Well, I'm about to let you in on one of my inner battles. The ones that rage inside my mind...constantly. And I literally mean, constantly. I wake up thinking about what I look like and what I don't look like. I'm never happy with who I am and I'm never happy with what see looking back at me in the mirror. It's embarrassing to admit that out loud. I mean, come on, I've had two babies and I'm 36 years old. But, on the other hand, I'm only 36 and I've only had 2 kids. I get in my own head and I allow Satan to tell me I'm not good enough. And the crazy thing is, I believe him. I let him tell me I'm not pretty enough and I let him convince me I'm not a good mom. And I truly believe it every time. It's a horrible way to live, but I live it every day.
How many of us would admit that we fight this battle every day? Anyone? Anyone at all.....? Ok, ok maybe I'm the only one, and everyone else out there has it all together...
BUT...LET'S STOP DOWNGRADING GOD'S CREATION!! God created me specifically unique...just like I am...ON PURPOSE. He created me with the short legs and short torso and green eyes with brown hair. He created me with the bone and muscle structure that I have to compliment His workmanship. Scripture says, "I knit you together...in secret " (Ps 139:13, 15). God literally put me together piece by piece. He knew that I would be short and He knew that I would have a flair for the dramatic and He knew that I would marry a man who would love me for what I look like and who I am....even at my worst.
So, when I look at myself in the mirror, instead of seeing the round face that I wish was slimmer I should see a beauty created by my Savior who foreknew me. Instead of seeing the stomach scarred and stretched I should see a vessel that carried my precious children...a feat that no man could ever do. Instead of seeing those hairs that pop up that I wish were not becoming gray I should see the wisdom that I have gained over the years and trials that I have faced that have made me the woman I am today. Instead of seeing the spots that appear on my hands showing age and scars that remind me of my ignorance I should see tender hands that wipe away the tears of my children and lovingly embrace my husband.
God, please help me to change the way I see myself. Teach me to see myself the way You see me. Daughter of the King of Kings. Beautifully created to worship my Creator. Pre-ordained be Ryan's wife. Lovingly chosen to be Cade and Ayden's momma. Called to ministry in three different churches alongside my husband. Handpicked to become friends with those that have crossed my path.
When we begin to see ourselves in ways that God made us instead of trying to compare ourselves with those other women in our lives (who don't have it all together either) maybe we will begin to find freedom to be ourselves.
How many of us would admit that we fight this battle every day? Anyone? Anyone at all.....? Ok, ok maybe I'm the only one, and everyone else out there has it all together...
BUT...LET'S STOP DOWNGRADING GOD'S CREATION!! God created me specifically unique...just like I am...ON PURPOSE. He created me with the short legs and short torso and green eyes with brown hair. He created me with the bone and muscle structure that I have to compliment His workmanship. Scripture says, "I knit you together...in secret " (Ps 139:13, 15). God literally put me together piece by piece. He knew that I would be short and He knew that I would have a flair for the dramatic and He knew that I would marry a man who would love me for what I look like and who I am....even at my worst.
So, when I look at myself in the mirror, instead of seeing the round face that I wish was slimmer I should see a beauty created by my Savior who foreknew me. Instead of seeing the stomach scarred and stretched I should see a vessel that carried my precious children...a feat that no man could ever do. Instead of seeing those hairs that pop up that I wish were not becoming gray I should see the wisdom that I have gained over the years and trials that I have faced that have made me the woman I am today. Instead of seeing the spots that appear on my hands showing age and scars that remind me of my ignorance I should see tender hands that wipe away the tears of my children and lovingly embrace my husband.
God, please help me to change the way I see myself. Teach me to see myself the way You see me. Daughter of the King of Kings. Beautifully created to worship my Creator. Pre-ordained be Ryan's wife. Lovingly chosen to be Cade and Ayden's momma. Called to ministry in three different churches alongside my husband. Handpicked to become friends with those that have crossed my path.
When we begin to see ourselves in ways that God made us instead of trying to compare ourselves with those other women in our lives (who don't have it all together either) maybe we will begin to find freedom to be ourselves.


Comments
-- Megan (unknown user for some reason)